Okay, Time for a New-Old Plan
I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning. I’ve been slacking off with diet and exercise because I want to write. I’m not getting enough sleep because I’ve been getting up early (and not going to be on time). And I’ve been drinking a lot of beer because it tastes yummy.
But last night I noticed I didn’t feel real good. And this morning it didn’t feel real good to look at the scale. It wouldn’t bother me if I felt good. But I don’t. So, back to what works.
I haven’t stopped doing them, but it is most definitely time to get some heavier weights. I need 17-pound dumbbells. I still think 20s will be too much.
Metabolic Effect weights 3x per week will continue.
A little tip: If you are using dumbbells for workouts, they are cheaper at Play It Again Sports (the Goodwill store of sporting equipment). They are actually new dumbbells at the one by me, but they are metal so maybe that is why they are cheaper.
I so wanted to try Hanson’s Half Marathon training for my next half, my PR shot. But it’s too much. I just don’t have that kind of time. I, instead, will use a modified plan Mel made for me when I PR’d in 2011. It’s a good plan and it works with my schedule. I just need to adjust the training times.
I also will fit in 1-2 running-specific strength workouts per week.
I will only be able to get up early to write if I go to bed on time. If I don’t get up on time, I will have to either forgo writing and make up for it on the weekend or find 30 quiet minutes at night (challenging).
I must get 7 or more hours of sleep. That is my minimum. I’ve been getting 6.5 or less. Not enough.
I must be in bed by 9:30 p.m. on work nights.
Okay, this is where I can make the most changes. This is where the biggest changes have been happening. I read Racing Weight and it made a ton of sense…when I was planning to run every single day. I haven’t been able to do that. But I’ve still been eating like I am (more carbs). So, back to what I know works for me with some modification, since I don’t think I was eating enough carbs before:
- Breakfast: Smoothie in the morning (protein powder, strawberries, almond milk) w/ 10 bites of carb (either a banana in my smoothie or a flax-seed waffle); 2 glasses of water
- Snack: Protein bar or blueberries with 10 almonds
- Lunch: BAS (Big Ass Salad packed with protein and veggies). I recently learned I’m sensitive to balsamic vinegar, so I will have to experiment with dressing. And 10 bites of carbs: a half of a sweet potato or about 1/3 cup of brown rice.
- Post-workout: Another protein smoothie
- Dinner: Protein and veggies. No carbs for me at dinner on 6 nights per week. And I am going to limit myself to beer once a week (shouldn’t really drink it on the week days anyway). I know I can have a small glass of red wine once or twice during the week if I want.
I know my body is super sensitive to carbohydrates. But I know I need them. So I will adjust the amounts until I figure out how much works for my energy levels and weight loss.
So…I’ve found another way that doesn’t work. I would like to lose 5 pounds of fat in two weeks. Today, I’m at 155.4. I’ll let you know how my new-old plan works.